The end of Zanz as we know it?

Where you can find information on the teams playing this era.
Araith

Game Masters

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:19 am   Subject: The end of Zanz as we know it?

I fear we're there.

Though the last few years were rocky, with periods of inactivity due to work or illness, we always got the game back on track, completed the turn and advanced the story.
In the past year things have changed though. My social life has grown, my responsibilities at work have expanded and after summer will continue to do so, and with my anemia returned I have less energy than normal (even if that might improve this summer). The current lapse of 6 months started this January when my social overreaching last fall combined with a cold that actually kept me home and in bed for a month, after which the new semester picked up... and now it's summer.

And I know I can't realistically pick the game back up.

At least not the way it is right now, with results that take weeks to process. Despite various changes and reforms we've made to improve that process, it's still fundamentally a very long slog that I no longer have the time, energy and will for.
Couple months back I had the idea for playing via skype, tabletop roleplaying style and thus work out a turn in one evening - a nice idea, but you can see that even with that idea we're already 2 months further with nothing happened.
Earlier there were various ideas I discussed with various players for radically streamlining the game, but that was ever for next Era, because such changes wouldn't be possible mid Era with all the cultures and plots going on - and we haven't made that next Era.

It's a huge pity, because the developing stories are great, plans are coming off the ground, and the various outcomes of this Era that I was anticipating were literally world and setting changing.
I would really like to see Zanz continue, but don't know how that might viably happen.

What to do now? ...

At least there's already a successor game started up, Shards of Olethros, where the GM has managed to create himself a process where he can get results down in a week - which is wonderful.

But what about Zanz?
I don't want to leave the game just hanging like this, I think none of us do.
Do we want to wrap this up nicely?
Write out the various stories that were developing?
Something else?
Some hopeful idea after all?

What are your thoughts?
Even if you have no ideas or don't really know what to say, please speak up and tell us what you think.
"On the fourth day the earthquakes hit."
Death Prince

IC Name: Tenwalve Notoyushi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:17 pm   Subject: Re: The end of Zanz as we know it?

I assume there's no realistic chance of recruiting other GMs to help process turns instead of yourself?
Remember kids, with great power comes great opportunity to abuse that power.
Araith

Game Masters

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:18 pm   Subject: Re: The end of Zanz as we know it?

I doubt it. Most of us simply have a work and private life that doesn't leave the kind of free time we had in student years, and Zanz as it is, is a big game.

One who was willing to GM had the sensible idea to set up a new game with a work load he thought he could manage, which thus far he's been able to maintain. Of course, that game is still getting off the ground, but I hope he succeeds.
Eom

IC Name: Efirts Om

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:02 pm   Subject: Re: The end of Zanz as we know it?

I hate to admit it (I genuinely do), but I don’t think of Zanz a lot these days. After reading this post I went back to my most recent orders (posted last November). I think over half of them gave me a “Oh that’s right, I was working on that too” experience. I think that illustrates how far the game has fallen on my priority list this past year. In fact the last orders that actually got results were posted in June 2017.

The game as it is, I agree, seems too cumbersome to manage. There’s simply so much going on at every moment, and with orders becoming increasingly complex, that I can only imagine how much work it might be to resolve them all.

I don’t really have any suggestions on how to proceed. I’d love to at least be able to see the end of how things might have developed. I’m quite eager to learn what people had up their sleeves, what their long term plans were. At the same time, I realise that this is hard to achieve without actually developing the world and seeing it unfold. Sure we could make something up.. but will that be equally fun as actually seeing it unfold for real? Pitting ourselves against one another? I don’t think so.

So short story is: I don’t know what to do.

All that said and done I’d like to do just one more thing: To give Araith a big warm round of applause for all the work you did put into this. It’s not fun to have this collapse happen under your watch, but I’d like to point out that if it hadn’t been for you we wouldn’t have had these 9 turns at all! THANKS!!!!
"What do we know … of the world and the universe about us? Our means of receiving impressions are absurdly few, and our notions of surrounding objects infinitely narrow. We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos"
~H.P. Lovecraft (from From Beyond, 1920)
FlyingSquirrel

IC Name: Gorbachief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:19 pm   Subject: Re: The end of Zanz as we know it?

I think these largely sum up my thoughts on the matter too. It's been fun while it lasted and may as well be given a nice send off, rather than further slide into inactivity and non-existence.

The idea of that people might provide a brief thoughts on the way they'd have liked their nation to progress would be a fine conclusion. It would be nice to know for once what you had up your sleeve Eom.

Whatever happens, it's been fun running the various things that have gone on.
Give me time, I am thinking of a of a decent signature.
TheVoice

IC Name: Yukora

Shadows of the Sun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:38 am   Subject: Re: The end of Zanz as we know it?

Come and play Shards, FS!
Araith wrote:Megalomaniac schemer, more than slightly unhinged. Good at forging alliances even though he doesn't really play well with others...

Roark wrote:Voice's work load must've tripled this week. I think we all owe him a big hug.
Gutta

The Devotion of Mikadosh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:49 am   Subject: Re: The end of Zanz as we know it?

Agree with a lot of what has been said, and I've also headed over to Shards - playing a few characters rather than a nation, which better suits my availability at the minute, anyway. I'd be happy to write up a short story from the perspective of a kobolt to round off how I saw the Devotion going this era :)
A FRIGHTFUL KOBOLT IS STALKING ZANZIBAR : THE KOBOLT OF DEVOTION
accaca

IC Name: Chagatai

The Riders of Rhudaur

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:58 am   Subject: Re: The end of Zanz as we know it?

I'd like to echo everyone's thanks to Araith for running this era. I've had a blast playing Zanz (both as a second on the Ubayime, and attempting not to get eviscerated by Naagi), and if my schedule permits once I start work in September, I'll definitely have a look at Shards.
Freedom :D :D :D
TheVoice

Shadows of the Sun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:26 am   Subject: Re: The end of Zanz as we know it?

Death Prince wrote:I assume there's no realistic chance of recruiting other GMs to help process turns instead of yourself?

TC (who runs Shards) has offered to help out, but whether that's enough to get things rolling again I don't know.

accaca wrote:I'd like to echo everyone's thanks to Araith for running this era. I've had a blast playing Zanz (both as a second on the Ubayime, and attempting not to get eviscerated by Naagi), and if my schedule permits once I start work in September, I'll definitely have a look at Shards.

We'd love to have you aboard! There are several different ways to play Shards so there should hopefully be something that fits in with your other commitments.

FYI Araith: The captcha system is broken, which is preventing people from either setting up new accounts or (more likely at the minute) recovering passwords for existing accounts. Please could you de-activate the captcha system or get ChaosR to fix it?
Araith wrote:Megalomaniac schemer, more than slightly unhinged. Good at forging alliances even though he doesn't really play well with others...

Roark wrote:Voice's work load must've tripled this week. I think we all owe him a big hug.
Araith

Game Masters

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:11 am   Subject: Re: The end of Zanz as we know it?

Hey all, late to reply due to medical issues.

First off, a little aside: TV, the captcha and login system has been repaired by ChaosR. All should be in order.

Then the state of things.

1. TC, the Shards GM, is looking into the possibility of him finishing the current Zanz turn. I doubt this will come to pass since Shards already costs much of his time, but he's valiant in wanting to make the effort.

2. Regardless of whether we can finish this turn, I want to write and epilogue to wrap up the Era, doing justice to all your plans, and revealing some epic and world-altering conclusions that are likely to come to pass.
This may take a while, since I notice I've also lost oversight over some of those plotlines and player plans. And between my transplantation coming month and recovery the months after, I don't know how fast I have the energy to finish this. But, it's important to get done.

3. And finally, I would like to open up all team forums, so all of you can check out one another's plans and secrets. With the game over, the need for secrets is past, and the wealth of plans visible on the forum can only lead to your enjoyment.

Of course, for point 3 I want permission from you teamleaders.
A good place to start is here. Any team leaders reading this, do you agree or object?
TheVoice

Shadows of the Sun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:23 am   Subject: Re: The end of Zanz as we know it?

Thanks for sorting the login system Araith (and ChaosR).

As I understand it, Boru wants to finish the Zanz turn and then take a view about future turns, so I definitely wouldn't want my team forum opened up whilst that's on the table. The idea is that with Shards running fortnightly quite comfortably it should be possible to run Zanz at a comparatively much slower pace (although still a fair clip by recent experience) without leaving the community with nothing to do for weeks at a time.

Araith

Game Masters

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:29 am   Subject: Re: The end of Zanz as we know it?

The forum opening wouldn't happen during play, but be part of the final wrapping up, with/after the epilogue.

As regards the coming turns, only finishing this one can hopefully be done, so everyone at least gets results.
Beyond that the Era will be wrapped up, as detailed in my previous post.
TheVoice

Shadows of the Sun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:04 pm   Subject: Re: The end of Zanz as we know it?

If Boru is prepared to run more turns why would you stop him?

Araith

Game Masters

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:49 am   Subject: Re: The end of Zanz as we know it?

Because that's never been on the table with him, thus far.
Also because it's not on the table for me any more.

One ingame reason among other more personal ones, the fact there's ever fewer players after each hiatus and players are forgetting their own plots, so more turns wouldn't do the full era justice.
TheVoice

Shadows of the Sun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:13 am   Subject: Re: The end of Zanz as we know it?

I'm not suggesting that you do it, that obviously wouldn't be realistic given everything that's happened. But if after doing the turn Boru thinks he can keep it going at a slower pace - with Shards to provide the week-to-week engagement to keep the community going - I'd just not like that ruled out at this point.

Return to Team Cultures